Home > Applying for Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Applying for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

In England and Wales if you wish to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on unlicensed premises you need to contact your local council for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). You will also need a TEN if a licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, for example holding a wedding reception at a community centre.

Licensable activity includes:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

The process of applying is formally known as ‘serving’ a Temporary Event Notice.

How to apply for Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Contact your council to apply for a TEN or visit this page to apply online. You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event and there is a fee of £21.

A copy of the TEN must be sent to the police at least 10 working days before the event. If you apply online, the council will contact the police for you.

It is your responsibility to keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held and display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year. A single premises can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.

Restrictions when Applying for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

There are specific restrictions when serving a TEN and restrictions about the number of times a TEN can be served by 1 individual or at 1 location.


  • Your event must have fewer than 500 people at all times – including all staff
  • Your event must last no more than 168 hours (7 days)
  • You must be at least 18 to apply for a TEN.
  • A TEN’s license is for an individual, not an organisation.
  • You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.
  • Separate but consecutive events must have at least a 24 hour gap between them.

Ready to join Borrow My Garden?

Register your little, medium, large or enormous, piece of the United Kingdom with Borrow my Garden to let people looking for festival style weddings, corporate events and film locations know you’d love to share with them to make their perfect event happen.

Sign Up

Hello! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience while browsing. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy to accept cookies. You can view details of our cookie policy here.